6.19.2012

Monday Matters: Angie Wright


It's a rare thing when a teacher can connect with students. And I mean really connect. The kind of class where every student feels like they could really be vulnerable and challenged. Angie is like that. 

She cares about her students and she wants to see them seek the Lord. She wants them to be passionate about what He has called them to do and she wants them to walk in power, love and a sound mind. Because this is the life we have in Him. A full life.

So grab a drink and enjoy a few words from Angie today :)



love it!






GOGEOUS!!!!



Angie, thank you for loving the Lord and for challenging me to seek Him in His Word. You have truly blessed my life and I am so thankful for you!

I love, love, LOVE my job!  Teaching at SBU is a true joy for so many reasons, but one of the main reasons I love it so much is because of students like Jordan.  It is amazing to have students who love and serve the Lord!  Jordan, I love how you use your gifts and talents for His glory!  I loved having you in class and am excited to see His plans for you! :)
Challenges… we all have them… and we can choose to face them confidently in our Savior’s strength and direction or we can choose to grumble about them and try to take them on ourselves.  My choice is the first one… to face them with peace and wisdom that can only come from my Savior {And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7}.  Now let’s be real… this is easier said than done.  But through practicing His presence and allowing him to control our lives, it is definitely possible.
What type of challenges have you faced this year?  We face challenges daily – and yes, some are more major than others.  
My biggest challenge the past year has been centered around working on my PhD.  I worry a lot.  I didn’t realize how much I worry {and how worthless it is} until I led a Bible study with a group of my female students called Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow.  I HIGHLY recommend this book/study!  
The craziest thing is that when I started thinking about what I worry about in life {PhD, work, family, etc.}, I realized that most of it never happens or already happened.  So I started asking myself: Why worry about things that might not even happen and why worry/dwell on things that are in the past?!  The answer: I shouldn’t and am going to strive not to from now on {Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6}.  
God has worked in me tremendously this past year.  Through His Word, prayer, Calm My Anxious Heart, and my parents, He is teaching me to be content.  Notice I used the word teaching – it doesn’t come over night.  He is teaching me that contentment is a choice…

Aren’t those great?  I want to choose to see stars not mud. :)
My parents are by far the biggest spiritual mentors in my life.  Their love for God, each other, me, and others is amazing and unlike anything I have ever seen.  A couple of weeks ago, I was really anxious about a few things.  My dad sent me this text {he knew exactly what I needed to be reminded of}…

I am so thankful for my heavenly Father and my earthly parents.  I am excited to see what God has planned for me now.  I am trying to live in the now and to live with an eternal perspective.  I don’t want to live with the mindset “after my PhD”.  If I choose to live in milestones, I will miss what God has for me now.
There are two final things I want to share with you all from Calm My Anxious Heart.  I have these photos saved on my phone and read them constantly.

Isn't that amazing?  
---being content in how He chose to make me---
13 For you formed my inward parts;
    you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
    my soul knows it very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
    intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
    the days that were formed for me,
    when as yet there was none of them.
Psalm 139:13-16 
I also love this “prescription for contentment”…

We can have contentment, but only in Him.  It is not always easy to deny our flesh, but true peace comes from living by the Spirit. I am so thankful for His peace and love.
For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.
Romans 8:5-6 
Thanks again, Jordan for having me on your blog and photographing me!  It was so much fun.  Blessings!

No comments: