6.29.2012

Laptops, Airport Security and an Old Man

I'm starting to feel a little sick to my stomach and I can't figure out why. I've done this many times before and I know how to work the airport. I just need to get through security. There are probably 15 people in line ahead of me taking off their shoes and passing their items of to be scanned.

It's my turn now and I slip off my shoes wondering if that awful foot smell is from my Toms (most likely). I place my laptop in its own bin and the iPad on top of it... I learned my lesson my first time flying: laptops cannot be with your carry-on.

I go through the metal detector and wait patiently at the end of the scanner for my items. An old man clears the metal detector and stands beside me now.

"Whose laptop is this?"

I tell the security guard that it's mine and prepare to be shuttled off to some interrogation room where the lights are too dim and I have to convince them I'm me.

"Laptops cannot have anything on top of them." I can tell he's exasperated with me so I tell him sorry. He places my laptop and ipad in separate bins and sends them through the scanner again. The old man next to me starts to chuckle and says I have nothing to be sorry for. He says they're crazy. I smile at his attempt to ease my nervousness.

Again, "whose laptop is this?"

The old man claims it and in the exact same tone as before, "Laptops cannot have anything placed on top of them." the old man says something under his breath and I laugh. Because there isn't anything he could have done at that point. And then we're both laughing and I'm not so nervous anymore.

And now I'm just excited. Excited to do life and meet people who make me laugh.


No comments: